Am I A Work Martyr?


Do you know what work martyr is?

The first time I heard about the term 'work martyr' is from one of my editor and mentor from publisher (Penerbit Haru), Lia Indra. She posts an idea in her Instagram account about it. The caption really hits me because that term connects to my daily life as a worker.

Work martyr is another term for workaholic. It's a new term for me and I'm excited to understand more about it. (Blame my curiosity! :D) Actually, work martyr is more than workaholic. If you enjoy working, it's okay to be a workaholic. But, when it makes you stressed out or ill, that's work martyr.

I dunno if being a work martyr is bad or not. Perhaps, it depends on the person. But I don't want to be a work martyr. If it is for my own company, I will be  a work martyr. If it's not, I don't want to.

Here are a few signs to watch out for:

1. You reply to emails as you see them, no matter the time of day or urgency.

2. If you receive feedback that is less than glowing, it severely alters your mood for the rest of the day.

3. You eat lunch at your desk every day.

4. You go into work even when you're sick.

5. You think you're the glue that holds everything together for your team.

6. You complain to anyone who will listen about your long hours and crushing workload.

7. You silently judge others when they leave work early or take off for family reasons.

8. You can't remember the last time you spent an entire weekend or holiday away from your computer or phone. And when you have holidays or day off, you will feel guilty.

9. You have to do everything yourself because you don't trust others on your team to do the job up to your standards.

10. At social events you don't have much else to talk about besides work, because it's your number one interest.

I've got some signs. It makes me want to break free because it is too overwhelmed. But it's hard.

I really want to enjoy my time outside of working hours. You know, doing my hobbies or spending time with beloved ones without thinking about work. That's why I always turn off the WhatsApp notifications after work and during weekends. It is so peaceful...

Do you also think that you become a work martyr? How do you manage your mind and soul in order to not being a work martyr?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Bibliotherapy , Blogger