Do You Look Up Words You Don’t Know Or Skip Them?


My first contact with English books was when I was in the university. Before this, I read translated books. Maybe it’s because of my English skills wasn’t as applicable as in the university. When I was in high school, learning English was only for getting a good grade on a paper. Therefore, I didn’t know how to use it in daily life. Lucky me, I studied in the university where the lecturers lived in western lives. It effected the students very much, including me. I started to read English books. From fiction to nonfiction. From Shakespeare to Samuel Beckett. From Emily Dickinson to Dorothy Parker. From Plato to Roland Barthes. I read various kinds of English books. I communicated in English with my lecturers. As the time went by, I gained my English skills. And those skills has been part of me since then.

Since I start working in English speaking environment, I’ve gained a lot of vocabulary and idioms especially every time I communicate with the native speakers. But it still makes me confused about some new words that I find when reading books. Usually, I look up new words as I come across them in my reading. However, it depends on my mood. If I’m too lazy to move my butt to get a dictionary or my phone, I’ll guess the context of the words first. You can read either the previous sentence or next sentence in order to know the words. Here is an example:

Shot me out of the sky. You’re my Kryptonite. You keep making me weak. Yeah, frozen and can’t breathe.

Does anybody recognize the sentence above? Yep! It’s One Direction’s One Thing. Can you guess the meaning of Kryptonite? I’ll give you time to think about it.
Three…
Two…
One…
And the answer is…
Based on the various dictionary, I found this:
1. /ˈkrɪptənʌɪt - noun: an alien mineral with the property of depriving Superman of his powers. (Oxford Dictionary)
2. /ˈkrɪptənʌɪt - noun: someone you love but he or she always ignores your affection and thus breaks your heart. (Collins Dictionary)
However, the answer is right in the context. In simple words, Kryptonite means something that makes a person weak/powerless. In this case, look at the next sentence! :D

So, do you look up words you don’t know when you’re in the middle of reading or skip them? Do you have any tips for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Bibliotherapy , Blogger