I Must Go To Johannesburg To Look For This Man

Years ago, I saw a picture my friend shared on Facebook. It’s a picture of a man sitting on a pavement with a stack of books. The caption says: “And instead of begging like other homeless people, he has chosen to make a living by reviewing and selling books.“


The first impression when I saw the picture are…
- I want to meet this man (nothing better than meeting people who love books more than life itself)
- I want to talk about books he has
- I want to buy many books from him or  give him many books so that he can sell more books and get more money to earn
- I want to encourage him and tell him that he is a wonderful brave bookworm that I’ve ever met, and don’t ever give up on the work he loves
- Give him a new cap to prevent him from the sun light that might hurt his eyes
- If I were the richest person in the world or the daughter of Donald Trump, I would donate my money for him to build his own business like bookstores and a house for his reading club. Hahaha…

I felt sad when I saw the picture of him. I didn’t know why I wanted to pray for him. There are a lot of homeless people in my country too. In the city where I live, I see many of them beg for money. And the worst thing is that they are still young and healthy! I mean, they are still in productive age, but all they can do is only begging and begging. No effort to look for jobs or create jobs. The city mayor and my role model, Ridwan Kamil, has offered them some good jobs. But, they refused! O-ow…
So, when I know that a homeless man selling books by reviewing them first, I am impressed! I didn’t know his name because the photo doesn’t include much information. Then this morning, suddenly I remembered him. I did everything I could do to know who that man is. I googled it, then I found it!
His name is Philani Dladla. He is a homeless man living on the streets of Johannesburg, South Africa. What makes me impressed is that Philani began to appreciate books when he managed to rescue himself from drug addiction by reading self-help books. On a typical day, Philani stops at various streets in Johannesburg with a pile of books; on request, he will review the books, the authors and even the publishers.
Philani became a speaker for TED Talks too! That means he is one of the extraordinary people! For you who wants to know more about reading in the eye of Philani Dladla, I suggest you to watch this video below:


Now, I add one more dream to my dream list: Going to Johannesburg to meet an extraordinary bookworm like him. I don’t mind wandering on the streets of Johannesburg by myself to meet him. I don’t mind going all the way there to Johannesburg only to talk with this man. He inspires me. Salute for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Bibliotherapy , Blogger