Preloved Book Haul || Singapore Book Haunting





The existence of second-hand or preloved books serves as a reminder that buying less new books reduces the chopping down of trees, saving our precious forests.

In the beginning of this month, I’ve got a chance to fly to Singapore. But, I didn’t go to Orchard road. Well, I think that place is mainstream. I don’t like mainstream things. Instead of taking a walk to Orchard road, I went to Bain Street which is a heaven for bookworms for its secondhand bookshops complex.

The complex is called Bras Basah Complex. It’s located right beside Singapore National Library. If you want to go there, you can take MRT to Bras Basah Station. From the station, you have to go straight and turn right in the first intersection. Just go straight about two intersections until you find National Library building. Walk pass the building and turn right. There… you can see the Bras Basah Complex.

I heard that years ago Bras Basah Complex has many secondhand bookshops. But nowadays, I see that most of the shops has changed into stationary shops or electronic shops. Only several shops that still sell secondhand books. One of them—and my favorite—is EverNew Bookstore.



Evernew Book Store is a small secondhand bookshop in Bras Basah Complex, but it is apparently the largest wholesaler of used books in Singapore. This one is my favourite bookshop because of its low price. Most of the books here are below 9 dollars. You also can get novels below 2 dollars! Who the hell turns down books for below 2 dollars each?! Onto the books… This time with a list of books I’ve already hunted down in EverNew, I have 7 books to share with you.




#1 Top 10 Clues You Are Clueless by Liz Czukas

This book is published last year. But, EverNew has the preloved. I believe that the publisher, Harper Teen, always publishes good books. So, when I saw this one on the shelves, I couldn’t help taking it.

#2 The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
I read this online version book about two years ago. I always wanted to collect the physical book. Thank God, I got this one in EverNew. Jay Asher is one of my favourite authors. His other book, Thirteen Reasons Why, captivates me to read this one.





#3 Haroun And The Sea Of Stories by Salman Rushdie
Maybe, this book is for middle grade or children. But, it still can be enjoyed by adults too. This book is a recommendation from my Indonesian favourite author, Clara Ng. I saw her tweets about this book long ago.I can’t wait to read this book because I believe that Clara Ng’s recommendation never upsets me.



#4 Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
This book is published by Puffin Penguin Books with the tagline ‘the story that never be forgotten’. I’m interested in reading this book because it’s a true story about an unwanted child. Oww, it’s gonna be a thought-provoking story.




#5 The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer


This book is the recommendation from Philani Dladla. Do you still remember him? The Pavement Bookworm from Johannesburg, South Africa? If you don’t know him yet, you can read it here http://readingwonderland.tumblr.com/post/125048503067/bookish-chinwag-i-must-go-to-johannesburg-to.

#6 Saving June by Hannah Harrington
This book has been on my TBR list for so long! This book depicts about  a tough issue, like mental illness and suicide that happens to the closest person.
After my visit to EverNew, I plan to go there again sometime in the future. So let’s talk. Do you like used books or do you tend to go towards the new one? If you do like used books, do you prefer them over new?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Bibliotherapy , Blogger